Monday 21 July 2008

Back in the jobs market

Well back in January I decided to take a career break for a number of reasons, now feeling refreshed and increasingly hammered by the state of the economy and my growing credit card bill (primarily caused by repairs and increased insurance for our cars, for which I was somewhat to blame) I am now beginning the process of getting back into work.

I have been down the jobcentre (now a plus version) and have started 'signing on' - this morning I had to go prove that I had been looking (and applying) for work over the past fortnight. Not sure why but I felt like a criminal or some sort of second class citizen, maybe it was the attitude of my interviewer (it was 9:3oam on a Monday morning)

I have dusted down and refreshed the CV, and over the past couple of weeks I have registered for a number of job search websites, have had numerous contacts from agencies and applied for a number of jobs, as yet I have had little feedback (apparently this wasn't quite good enough for the jobcentre commandant, but I was let off for being a newbie). Maybe they'll have me cleaning graffiti soon!

Whist doing some more job related research I found this article on netshare.com The article mentions the use of an online presence (blogs, social networking etc) to make us oldies (40+) look more employable! (perhaps I need to do something on myspace.com? perhaps not!)

But I did like the little picture that accompanied the story.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Matt Buxton said...

"apparently this wasn't quite good enough for the jobcentre commandant"

What else could you have done, exactly?!