Tuesday 5 February 2008

Bad weather closes Newark market

Photobucket

I almost forgot to post this picture I took last Friday (1st February 2008). Taken with my Motorola L6 phone it shows the empty market square in Newark. Seems the high winds experience that day were too much for the council's health and safety officiers and they feared market stalls taking off so cancelled the market.

I walked in early to get my fruit and vegetables as I do every week and was somewhat bemused along with everyone else to see the empty square. I had to go ask the bored looking gentleman in the yellow jacket to ask him what was going on, to be honest it was blowing a gale and could understand the issues. One drawback was I had to go to Waitrose to buy some outrageously expensive and frankly awful quality fruit and veg to tied me over the weekend. As well as the price I was also shocked about how little of it came from the UK.

Tomorrow I am off to try the monthly farmer's market for the first time. I have never been able to before because of work. May take some pictures and report back.

No comments: